Thursday, July 10, 2008

FreakAngels

I mention in my profile that I'm into comic books. Well, I am. Big old comic book fanatic and have been as long as I can remember. Not the superhero shit. I'm also not some obsessive collector type. I don't go to conventions or dress up in costumes. I read 'em and, after I've accumulated a pile, dump 'em off on the local used book store.

Anyway, it's my opinion that some of the better, more literary writing and storytelling going on in this day and age is occurring in this format. FreakAngels is a free weekly online comic written by Warren Ellis, who happens to be one of my favorite writers. I encourage you to check it out. If you dig it, sneak into a comic shop when no one is looking and buy some of his stuff. Ask the guy or gal behind the counter to recommend writers in a similar vein - he or she will talk to you way too long but you'll end up with a list of writers that will blow you away. Eventually, maybe, you'll even be able to admit to others that you're into this stuff.

So if this makes me a geek, as my wife maintains, so be it. I don't really give a shit. Check it out and see if you're one too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I checked it out and one could say I'm a geek too. This is actual art you mention here! The expression and emotion is parallel to the few other comics I have read. I don't fall for the superhero shit either EXCEPT for Spiderman. The whole, "With great power, comes great responsibility" thing got me hooked. I am torn between happines and a sense of corruption due to the movie industry's capitalization of Spidey, but hey, I saw the first movie and did like it. I am into X-Men as well, and have wanted to be Storm since I was a wee one! Thanks for the direction for FreakAngels. I'll keep up with them! AK G Rae

MiseryCreek said...

If you like Ellis also check out Garth Ennis (HATES superheroes - his best work if "The Preacher", but his new series "The Boys" has a lot to recommend it), Mark Millar, Brian Azzarello, Mike Carey, Robert Kirkman, and Alan Moore. There are plenty more, but those are my favs.